Hampden Hall at Roland Avenue and 36th Street is shown here in an August 29,
1909 image. Architectural historian Randolph Chalfant ascribed the design to J.
Appleton Wilson. The Maryland Journal, August 19, 1882, credits bricklayer F.J.
Hutchins with being the contractor. The hall was described as being "three stories
with pressed brick front and marble trimmings". "The large town hall at Hampden
which was begun two years ago, will be ready for occupancy in the course of a
week. The hall is a handsome brick structure on [a] stone foundation, 44 by 90
feet, three stories and basement with slate roof. The lower story is divided into
stores. On the second floor is the main hall, 40 by 76 feet, which will be for
balls, theatrical entertainment and public meetings. The third floor will be used
for lodge meetings by various societies. The hall is on the Southeast corner of
Roland and Third Avenues, and commands a fine view of the city.
Photographer: News American
Source: Jacques Kelly
photograph shows Hampden Hall on the southeast corner of 36th Street and Roland
Avenue in Baltimore.
Date: January 1987
John W. McGrain